• Before undergoing an abortion, all patients will have an ultrasound examination at the clinic. This is to allow us to confirm the age of the pregnancy, and find out if the pregnancy is in the right place.
• The ultrasound will also confirm whether it is an abnormal pregnancy e.g. a molar pregnancy or whether a patient is having a miscarriage, or to rule out an ectopic pregnancy.
• We routinely do an ultrasound for medical abortions to confirm they are within the limits for this procedure.
• The follow up appointment for medical abortion we repeat the ultrasound to confirm the procedure is complete and there are no retained tissues in the uterus
• It would be of great assistance to us if you could manage to come to your appointment with a FULL BLADDER.